Sunday, April 3, 2011

Recipe #12: "At Home" Betty's Chocolate Cake

New book!!!  I think Ina’s Family Style is my favorite recipe book, but Barefoot Contessa At Home is a VERY close second.
I was so excited about this first recipe because as I have been working hard to shed a few pounds (already back to pre-baby weight!), Sunday is my day to have a little cheat, and chocolate cake was right up my alley this week!  More importantly though, I wanted to make a sweet treat for my dear sister who could have used a pick-me-up.  Unfortunantly, things didn’t go as planned….
I hate hate hate saying this because goodness knows, I love ya Ina, but your cakes DO NOT work at altitude!  After following every step exactly as intended (now sifting when called for, eggs at room temp, etc.), the result was a chocolate version of the Family Style flag cake.  Excitement squashed. 
A fellow teacher who is a baking-at-altitude veteran actually looked at the Flag Cake recipe to see if anything was amiss.  Perhaps I will have her do the same with this one....

No comments:

Post a Comment